Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Martin Luther King Jr. Day

I slept in today and skipped one of the MLK events I wanted to attend. But never fear, there were plenty more during the day. Anna recommended me go to a place called Dishes, it was by far the coolest and best place I've ate at since I've been here. It was very modern but cozy place. They had create your own soup, salad, sandwich, juice, smoothie, stir fry, and more. I created my own salad and got candied walnuts, avocados, fresh mozz, and grilled shrimp. It was amazing. Then I went to the juice bar and I got strawberries, mangos, and carrots - freshly squeezed...It was so goood. It snowed the whole walk there and back. It didn't start sticking until a little later. I stopped at Guy and Gallard and got a cinnamon hazelnut coffee and finished perks of being a wallflower. It was really good. 

I took a train over to the Symphony Space  for the MLK festivities. This was the insert I found online:
Honor the life and work of Dr Martin Luther King, on the eve of this historic presidential inauguration, with a free celebratory night of music featuring Abraham, Inc. and their unique blend of the sounds of renowned trombonist Fred Wesley, klezmer clarinet virtuoso David Krakauer, and beat architect Socalled.
I got there right for the start of it and they sang a quick song, and then a few speakers got up and expressed there thoughts of the historic day that will be taking place tomorrow. They spoke of the importance of Martin Luther King Jr. and the impact he had on Obama becoming president. It was very inspirational, and then they showed a video about MLK and the inauguration taking place tomorrow. Then the band came out and put on an amazing show. There were 11 people on stage...sax, trombone, accordion, bass, piano, electric guitar, a rapper, beatboxer...They had everything. Now you might think that it all clashed but I can assure you, it was perfect. Everything sounded absolutely amazing. I couldn't stop laughing but thankfully I had an awesome seat so I got to snap some photos. I was approached by two security guards who thought I was video taping the event, but I cleared things up with them. The show ended around 8:30 and I grabbed a piece of pizza and headed home. I posted most of my pictures on my flickr page. Click here to check them out. 

Tomorrow will mark one of the most historical moments in my lifetime. I wish I was in DC to actually see it but I'm sure I'll have a chance to see most of the video footage. 

Back to work tomorrow. I had a pretty sweet three-day weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment